Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Unbelievable! The Box Spring Hogs, South Austin's Finest Tom Waits Tribute Band, just might be better than the original. Got to Beerland around 10p and BSH were already on stage. I listened to the song they were playing and when it was over, I pulled out the camera and set to recording. I thought I was late and might get only 15 or 20 minutes but in fact, I was on time, for once, and managed to capture almost their whole set, about 45 minutes. What kind of music is it, you ask? As I was filming, I was asking the same question of myself: self? what kind of music is this? The answer? I don't know...Strong guitar, subtle and steady bass, lively drums and keyboards that fill in the small parts. The singer, though, is key. His voice, low, guttural, deep, yet soothing, is the linchpin of the band. His voice takes you places, providing a mood and setting a tone for the show. It takes passion and confidence to sing like that, on key, yet bassy. It's not easy. Besides the entertainment factor of the live performance, it's always a thrill for me to see the band members enjoying themselves on stage. These four in this band were having a great time, cracking jokes between songs, having fun. Live music is such a wonderful forum for expression, especially for a tribute band. Why? These guys aren't doing it for money, as the songs are not theirs. They're doing it because...well, hell, I don't know exactly why they do it, but I can imagine they do it cuz they love the music. That simple. And they do it very well. So, Box Spring Hogs, a great time at a cool place. What's up for tonight? I'll let you know, after these important messages...(roll commercial)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home